Do you love God? If asked that question many of us would probably reply with a yes. It's a question I found myself asking as this new year approached. I say I love God, but do I really love Him as I should? 2012...a brand new year, I thought. If you're like me, you may be all about new year's resolutions and setting goals. This new year as I sat down and considered how I would spend the next 365 days of my life I opened my Bible and came across one of my favorite stories - the woman with the alabaster box. It's a story that has always challenged me, but never quite like it did this time. I realized something after I read that story and knew exactly what my goal for this new year would be...to love my God, holding nothing back.
It was a pretty box. The alabaster white color was so pure and beautiful, seemingly flawless. Filled to the brim with an ointment by the name of Spikenard which was produced by a rare perennial plant, it gave off the sweetest of aromas. Shaped like a slender vase with a curved neck leading to the outlet, this box was stunning with its dainty design and elegant appearance. When the seal was broken, a fragrance so delightfully wonderful filled the room. It was her box. Her most prized possession. The very best she had.
She was a lowly woman, very poor, very infamous. Yet, she knew of Jesus, the Christ, and more than anything, she wanted to be near Him. He was the compassionate Savior who never turned away the poor, the sick, or the sinful and she strongly desired to hear Him speak, to lay her eyes upon Him, to somehow show how much she loved the One who cared for outcasts such as herself. She must go to the house of the Pharisees, and although she knew she surely would not be wanted there among such men, she went, for she had to see Him.
Standing at His feet, her tears overflowed. Tears of agony, for she was a sinful women ashamed of her transgressions; tears of sorrow for she was so unworthy; tears of joy, she at last was with her Lord; tears of awe, He was holy ; tears of anguish, soon her Lord would be crucified. Standing at His feet, she could not speak. Weeping she began to kneel before Him as her tears fell upon the feet of Jesus. With her long, flowing hair she tenderly washed His feet and kissed them. Reverence and devotion were clearly shown by the woman as she knelt. She loved Him.
Then came the box. It was so precious to her. Costly and exquisite, the box was the only beautiful thing she had ever had. Tears streaming down her face, she broke the seal, pouring out all of the ointment upon His feet. She had done all she could do, she gave her highest treasure, her only valuable possession, and emptied it out before the feet of Jesus. Then at last, she began to leave, but stopped when she heard Him speak.
"... Thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman hath not ceased to kiss my feet. My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment...her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much..."
This story of the woman with the alabaster box is so amazing. It tells of a woman who gave her very best to the one she loved the most. She did not hesitate before breaking the box and pouring it out. She was not remorseful about giving up the valuable box for her Master. A picture of sacrifice, devotion, and adoration, this story portrays something beautiful - a love with no price that holds nothing back.
No comments:
Post a Comment